Thursday, January 29, 2015

FINDING NORMAL - This Author's Journey


Every January first, most of us make resolutions or set GOALS we want to accomplish in the new year.  For me, I just want to enjoy the journey. I don't want to miss anything, I want to learn new things, experience new adventures... I want to do it ALL!

Well, I learned in November that I can not do it all. Most of you do not know I was out for the count for about six weeks beginning the first week in November. I had a sinus infection, ear infection in both ears and for the first time in my life I understood that vertigo is real. Okay.. so maybe I don't want to experience EVERYTHING. 

While this was happening, contractors were in and out of my house every day for twenty three days. All but three of those days I cooked for the crew. I LOVE to cook and miss cooking for a group of appreciative eaters. Not that my husband doesn't enjoy my cooking - he does - but he is only one. I was taught to cook for groups of 10-21. So aside from being sick, watching hungry men wolf down food was probably one of the high points of the build. 

What were they building? 

My new office space/ art studio!

The drawing is a bit off scale (was a quick sketch to show my MIL layout in relationship to the house) but shows my 480 square feet soon to be known as CREATIVE DREAMS. I've been showing progress (going back to the build in November but only posting this month) on my art blog (You can search Tag: Building to see all the posts)

I will have space for all of my books, including getting my Keepers out of storage. I will have a designated place to write where I can shut out the cats and the rest of the world. I will have a place to create art - and leave stuff out to dry rather than having to shuffle stuff out of the way to put dinner on the table. 

This addition is above ground. So no more 'dungeon' basement. I will have actual windows and air flow. Whoo Hooo!

So November was kind of a blur. LOL 
December, I took the entire month off to spend with my hubby. He is not always home for the holidays and this year I was blessed to have him home for Christmas AND New Years. Rather than write about heroes, I enjoyed time with my own.

January has found me struggling to get back into the swing of things. I've kept up the day job - to an extent. Just enough to get buy. I've already started the year off published in a magazine. Polymer Cafe is an art magazine designated for artists in the polymer clay industry. I am a regular contributor there. I should be in one of the next upcoming issues. I've also signed a contract for an article for the 2016 Songwriter's Market.

As if that were not enough to kick me in the fanny, I am participating in JANO.. our Sleuth's Ink group version of NanoWriMo. Two bonuses are that we can work on an existing project without being considered a 'rebel' and January has an extra day in the month. 

So with 31 days in the month of January, I am out to beat my record. I wrote Somewhere Down the Line in 18 days. I'm determined to write the rough (and I do mean rough) draft of How Do You Like Me Now? in 10 days.  

Three more days to go. I just might make it! I feel like the little engine that could.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....

And we all know you can do anything you set your mind to.  I'll be back on Monday with regular blogging schedule and let you know how I did.

Creative Blessings!
~Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment