Monday, June 23, 2014

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT - Wanda Fittro


Today we are talking with Wanda Fittro. I've known her as Wanda K since joining Sleuth's Ink writers group and later Ozarks Romance Authors - both in Springfield MO. We've done Nano together and ridden this roller coaster ride to publication. Wanda is here to tell us about her first book being released this week - Beyond the Horizon.

Hi Wanda. Great to have you today.

Thanks Angela. Great to be here. 

Your first novel, Beyond the Horizon, is due out in three days. You must be very excited. I’m anxious to share your thoughts with my readers.  Here we go!


1) Do you have an idea for characters and build your plot around them or vice versa?
I have a story idea first. Not really a plot. Like for Beyond The Horizon, I thought about what would happen if a woman attempted to escape an abusive relationship. Then, I just started writing.


2) What is the most difficult for you to write: Characters, conflict, emotions?
Well, you didn't name it, but setting is very hard for me. Description does not come easily. If I could write an entire book with just dialogue, that would be great. 


3) I know you belong to a couple of writers groups. Why are they important to you and what advice would you give to anyone looking to join a group?
Oh my, I can't even begin to tell you how important my writer's groups have been to me. Not only do they give critique and advice, but friendly support in every step of the writing process. I really don't think I would have a published book without them. It's important to find a group that you fit into, not only for your genre but your personality also. There are many out there and usually the first few visits are free.  


4) Best Writing Advice you’ve ever received
The infamous 'show don't tell'. Although I must admit, I still struggle with that one. 

5) Tropical or European vacation?
Definitely tropical. Laying in a cabana with a hunky pool boy rubbing oil on my back, while I sip a pina colada. 


Let's give our readers a peek inside Beyond the Horizon.


Blurb:

When Katie Sullivan makes the hasty decision to run away from an abusive relationship, she has no clue what is ahead of her. She only knows it has to be better than her life up to now. Her boyfriend is a powerful drug dealer who will stop at nothing to get her back. She knows too much. Car trouble leaves her stranded in the middle of Kansas, with little money, and a growing fear of failure.  

Widower Josh Warner works and lives on an elderly couples’ farm. He juggles the responsibilities of raising his young son and his passion for the rodeo. Unable to let go of his deceased wife’s memory and on the rebound from a misguided affair, he has no desire for another relationship. But, when Katie appears out of nowhere, everything changes. 

Against all reason, Katie and Josh find themselves drawn to each other. If the past catches up to them, their newfound passion, and their lives could be in jeopardy. Can their love win against the evil headed their way?


Excerpt:

"It is beautiful out here," Katie pulled her sweater around her shoulders tighter. "If I was staying much longer though, I would need a heavier coat. That's something I didn't bring with me."
Josh turned back around to face her. "Looks like you packed in a hurry."
"Yeah, I wasn't thinking very far ahead I guess." Uncomfortable with the turn of the conversation, she changed the subject. "Chad seems to be a really good kid. And smart. He whizzed through his math homework in no time. You should be really proud."
"I am."
A shiver ran through her as a crisp breeze blew onto the porch. Josh sat on the swing, took off his jacket, and placed it around her shoulders. He let his arm rest behind her. Katie resisted the urge to protest. His arm felt comfortable and safe...like it belonged there. 


Bio and links:


Wanda Kay Fittro lives in the beautiful Ozark Mountains in Southwest Missouri. Born and raised in a small town community, gave her an appreciation for that lifestyle, and provides the inspiration for her novels. A love affair with books started early on while reading Nancy Drew by flashlight under the bed covers. She won the prestigious Missouri Literary Festival Reader's Choice award in 2011 for her Civil War short story One, Two, Three.

You can find and follow her at:
 http://awritercalledwanda.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/wandakayfittro
https://twitter.com/WandaFittro

14 comments:

  1. Ooh, writing a book without worrying about setting descriptions. I'd like that too. I think I spend more time trying to get descriptions right than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do description so well, I had no clue you struggled with it also.

      Delete
  2. I, too, struggle with settings, Wanda, and could also write tons of dialogue. I think that's the easiest part.

    Congrats on your new release! Great interview, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who struggles with settings. We should start a support group.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Beth. Always great having one of our own here ;-)

      Delete
  3. I, too, struggle with settings, Wanda, and could also write tons of dialogue. I think that's the easiest part.

    Congrats on your new release! Great interview, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, ladies. Settings are such a challenge, I agree, Wanda. Congratulation on your book!! I can't wait to read it! Best of luck. Barb Bettis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that tropical vacation idea. Whew! The book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tropical question was a no brainer for me!

      Delete
  6. The senses are my achilles. I always have to go back and layer those suckers in. They definitely don't come naturally to me.

    I'm so excited for you and your debut book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good interview. The book sounds really good, one I will definitely be on the look out for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really good book, Samantha. Thanks for stopping by today. Hope we'll see you again soon.

      Delete