Wednesday, May 5, 2021

THE KOREAN WAR - How Did the Conflict Begin?


Beginning today, I will be sharing things about my current work in progress (WIP)



The inspiration for An Ozarks Soldier's Homecoming began when I stook along side the road and watched the procession bringing CPL Donald Eugene Matney home to Seymour MO. I'd never seen support such as CPL Matney received on his journey. Even his Uncle commented in a presentation he gave at the Broomfield Veterans Museum in April of 2017 how the state of Missouri did his nephew (his wife's nephew) proud. 

From what I understand, nearly every overpass from St. Louis to Seymour had people lined up with flags and saluting as he passed below. I didn't realize at the time the importance of that motorcade, only that a serviceman was coming home. Here's a news clip from one of our local new stations KY3 (Springfield MO)


You only need to see the first 6 minutes or so.

By the time I'd driven the ninety minutes back home (I was on my way home from Springfield) I had a story idea in my head. My brain always goes to the 'What If... " when something catches my attention.

So, how did the Korean War begin?
Here's what I found from (historycrunch.com *) websight as well as (Wikipedia **)

The main reason the United States got involved in Korea was the purpose of doing everything possible to keep communism from spreading around world. *


United Nations Security Council Resolution 82 was a measure adopted by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) on June 25, 1950. The resolution demanded North Korea immediately end its invasion of South Korea **

The resolution called on the North to immediately halt its invasion and to move its troops back to the 38th parallel. Seen as a diplomatic victory for the United States, the resolution was completely ignored by North Korea. This brought the UN and the US to take further action, setting the state for massive international involvement and the expansion of the Korean War.


The Korean Conflict was not suppose to be an all-out war. We were to be a police action... at least that's what the government told our boys. 

As I researched for An Ozarks Soldier's Homecoming, I learned so much about the Korean War and how our boys coming home failed to receive the welcome they should have. Very little is said about WW1. We hear about the economy boosts after WWII and what a political fiasco the Vietnam War was - the deplorable conditions for our soldiers, yet the Korean War truly has become 'the forgotten war'. After doing my research, I won't ever forget what our boys went through only to be treated as if their sacrifice didn't matter. 

The following video is actually in regards to a WWII veteran but I wanted to share - This Old Army Hat by Bill Anderson. 


We'll continue this next Wednesday...

All my best
~Angela













No comments:

Post a Comment