Thursday, February 4, 2021

WRITER TIP THURSDAY

 Good morning, friends.

While searching for Writing Tips to share, I came across this post on Literary Hub. Rather than 1 tip, I'm sharing this tip that seems to come up a lot - though shared in various forms,  then encourge you to read the article for yourself.

1.
Neglect everything else.

It starts with a simple fact: If you’re not making the time to write, no other advice can help you. Which is probably why so many of the writers I talk to seem preoccupied with time-management. “You probably have time to be a halfway decent parent and one other thing,” David Mitchell, the author of Cloud Atlas, told me. That can mean mustering the grit to let other responsibilities languish. As he put it in short: “Neglect everything else.” ~from Joe Fassier - Literary Hub


While I don't agree you should 'neglect everything else', I do believe you need to set priorities and schedule time as if making a doctor's appointment. 

Over the years, I've learned I am a night time writer when it comes to fiction. I can write short items, such as blog posts all day long. I consider them a warm up as I'm multi-tasking around the house doing necessary chores. By 4 p.m. I'm ready for food then I can work on fiction for a couple of hours before bed. (yes, I go to bed that early! But I'm up by 5 a.m.)

If you do not know when your best writing time is, try doing word sprints at various times throughout the day. Give yourself several sprints to see if the words build or they just don't seem to move. Soon you'll discover if you're a morning person who can put your word goal to the page then have the rest of your day for other things, or if you need that elite focus that comes from having the day-to-day stuff out of  the way so you can really get into your story. 

Regardless of when, you do need to make the choice to either write or binge-watch netflix. Only you can choose which to neglect.

All my best!

~Angela



No comments:

Post a Comment