Wednesday, May 22, 2024

WEDNESDAY REVIEW - Second Time Around

Hi friends!

Y'all know second chance love stories are my favorite and HER SUMMER REFUGE checked all the boxes for me. Before I share my full review, let's check out the blurb:

She needs his help to start over…

But can she earn his trust?

Jobless and alone, mom-to-be Jessa Brooks returns to the resort she once called home—only to find the man she left a decade before. New owner Will Madden offers his pregnant ex a cabin, a job…and a silent vow to keep his distance. But working together makes it impossible to stay away. As old feelings resurface, could they find the refuge they both need in each other?

At first I thought I was going to have issues with reading the book. The line editors at Harlequin really missed the mark on passive wording. Once I accepted that and read over 'had' usage, I found a beautiful story that kept me misty eyed through most of the book.

Jessa knew her old home resort was the safe haven she needed to have her baby. I think Will said it best when he (paraphrasing) that as teens we can't wait to get out of our home town but as adults we find comfort in where we grew up. Both Will and Jessa went away to separate universities, pursuing their dreams. Will came home to buy the Brooks Family Resort that had been a big part of his growing up, and owned by Jessa's family for three generations. When he bought the resort from her dad he made a promise she would always have a place at the resort. I thought that was sweet but wait until you read the book and be prepared for Awww moments. I'm not sure actually thought she would ever return. She hurt him pretty bad right after they'd parted ways and I don't think he envisioned her every coming home. yet on a stormy night in early summer, there she was at his front door.

One thing I really liked is the antagonist feature. Not a strong presence but enough to create needed tension to make even the sweetest story sing.

As I said, I was misty through most of the book and a I had to keep a tissue hand as I read the last third of the story. 

I'm giving SECOND TIME AROUND


.5


You'll find all the links I could locate for Gabrielle Meyer below. I suggest checking out the BOOKS tab on her website. She is a multi-genre Inspirational author. I look forward to checking out her Historical romances and might even bring in one of her back-list Christmas books for a July post. 

She also offers signed copies of some of her books in her ETSY shop!

WEBSITE   FACEBOOK   INSTAGRAM   X.COM    BLOG   GOODREADS

AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE

All my best!

~ Angela



No comments:

Post a Comment