Saturday, August 21, 2010

Pins and Needles

I've often dreamed of the day when I'd be waiting anxiously to hear from an editor. It happened once before in my publishing pursuit. But this time is different. I know Sheila Hodgson of Harlequin Mills & Boon Medical romance is looking for new authors.

I met Sheila about eight years ago. She told me if I could write a romance, I could write a medical romance. So on the drive from Denver, story ideas formed in my mind. For some silly reason I knew my Heroine's name had to be Winter. Well... you can't have a Winter without incorporating the other three seasons, so The Seasonal Sisters Series was born. However, I failed to recognize one little detail. Both the Hero AND Heroine had to be in the medical profession. I wrote Winter as a park ranger. When I realized this little snag, I wasn't sure I wanted to or could change her profession. So instead of finishing her story, I closed the binder and moved on to a new story. Amazing things can happen when a request comes down the pike.

I heard from a dear friend that M & B was looking for new authors. Not only were they looking but they were responding within in the same time frame they requested the submissions. Opportunities like that are almost unheard of in this business. I couldn't let it pass without at least trying. So Winter's Peace came out of storage. In eleven days I rewrote most all of the story, polished the first three chapters and revamped the two-page synopsis. They were long 10-12 hour days spent at the keyboard. I'm happy with the way the story is shaping up. I think the conflict is stronger so that's always a good thing.

It's been a week since I submitted the first three chapters. Now I wait. I'm suppose to hear something by month's end. I'm glad there isn't much of the month left. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment