Monday, January 2, 2023

HAPPY NEW YEAR - How My Writing Began

 


Good morning, everyone!

I normally don't like to apologize for not doing something. Life happens is the best I can offer. I just couldn't write much of anything. My brain was in art/ creative mode. Looking back, I think I needed that time. 

I'll be bringing you up to speed on where my writing is right now. I can tell you, I'm working on Book 2 and I'm getting new ideas on a regular basis. 

So where did my writing really begin?

Last week, Barbara Walters passed away. She was an idol and inspiration for a lot of women wanting to get into journalism. I saw everyone of her specials from the late 1970s to early 1980s. I wanted to be an entertainment writer and ask the 'tough questions'.

When Mr. L, the guidance counselor at Gilcrest Valley High, asked what I wanted to do with my life I told him I wanted to be an entertainment journalist. Granted, at that time I was thinking Shawn Cassidy and the Bay City Rollers as my target and wanted to write for Tiger Beat Magazine. I figured it was a great place to start and work my way up. 

"You can't make a living as an entertainment writer. You need to refocus on a career."

I was stunned. I thought if Barbara Walters could make entertainment journalism a profitable career, why couldn't I. From that moment, (not knowing any better), I let my dream of being a journalist die.

In the 1980s, I began working in music promotion. I worked for local bands, getting paid in free entry to concerts. Hey, music was in my soul and I didn't have a lot of money so that was a perk I could get on board with.

I also discovered that most entertainment rags had a stable of writers and didn't pay freelance. In the late 1990s I found blogger and began doing interviews and writing there. From there, my music writing grew. I interviewed musicians in the Country Music, Bluegrass genres. But it wasn't until the early 2000s when I started doing CD reviews. (Thanks to Duane Allen from the Oak Ridge Boys). I started promoting concerts & venues, meeting talented people and making a few friends along the way. 

While I've stepped away from that to focus on the business side of being author (there just are not enough hours in the day), I still have the occasional pull to do a post or two. That blog is still alive. It's called KellysCountry

So where did romance come into the picture?

Stop by tomorrow and I'll introduce you to one of the most influential women in my life.

All my best

~Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment