Thursday, August 27, 2026

REVIEW WEDNESDAY - The Lighthouse Keeper's Argument

 Good morning!

Ever have those weeks, not days but weeks, where if something can interrupt your flow, it will? That's been my case lately. Balace will be restored. Maybe with the Lunar Eclipse tonight. 

This week, I'm reviewing The Lighthouse Keeper's Argument by Sloane Hart.



This is Book 1 of 2 in the series.

BLURB:

Nora Callahan came back to Cedar Falls for one reason: sell her late grandmother's lighthouse cottage before the ink dries on her promotion offer and get back to her real life in Boston. She did not come back to argue with the infuriating, broad-shouldered harbor master who's filed three injunctions against the sale and apparently has opinions about everything she does. Declan Marsh has spent five years quietly protecting the Cedar Falls coastline — and the lighthouse that anchors it. He's not about to let some city lawyer in impractical shoes hand it over to a resort developer who'll gut the soul out of his town. Even if that lawyer has a laugh that keeps him awake at night. Forced to co-manage the cottage's legal fate through a town heritage review, Nora and Declan wage war in public and wage something far more dangerous in private. But Nora's flight back to Boston is already booked. And Declan learned the hard way that the people you love most are always one tide away from leaving. Something's got to give. The question is whether it will be the injunction — or their hearts.

After three attempts to get into the story and barely making my way through Chapter 7, I had to put the book down. Nothing is happening. I knew as a reader I was going to be in trouble when Nora meets Declan, bringing the two characters together, then the very next chapter Nora is parked in front of the cottage again, thinking about the argument. What argument? We are not privy to the confrontation between Nora and Declan. As a reader, I want to experience that fire between the main characters. We never really see this in as far as I've read. While there is one point where they are in the cottage together assessing potential historical value as well as what is wrong, the content is as foggy and cold as the sea air coming off the ocean. 

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't rate this book. I do encourage Sloane Hart to learn the craft before investing her time, and ours, on a story we can't feel. 

I can't rate this book. We'll see what September brings. I'm in the mood to curl up with a good Autumnal read.

All my best!

~ Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment