Monday, August 22, 2022

MONDAY MOTIVATION - Deadlines!!

 Good morning, everyone!

The last couple weeks were completely crazy! I'm still trying to get the studio/ office redo done and now I have a deadline of September 14th. My brother-in-law and his wife will be here for a long weekend visit, arriving on the 16th. Of course, Bob comes home the week prior so I really only have two weeks to get the studio finished. Progress is being made but not as fast I'd like as I'm also working with creative deadlines.


Bee Journals

I'm on the final push to finish these three bee-themed journals. The prototype is for me but the other two are for two very special 'bee' friends. My plan is to finish these up by the weekend and get them mailed. That will let me put the remaining bee-themed items in my Etsy shop then clear the deck for the next creative project.



I LOVE  working with Graphic 45 papers. The quality is amazing and the vintage images fit my style. Of course, throw in anything Halloween in the mix and I'm all over it like whipped cream on pumpkin pie!  They currently have a challenge going on to create something using their product. Winner will receive $150 credit to their store. Yes please!  Deadline is September 2nd but I'm shooting for the end of this month.



I've been attending the Ozark Creative Writers conference for the past twenty-six years. I've missed two conferences. one - when my youngest granddaughter was born then the one that was canceled due to Covid.  Each year they offer a long list of contests (with prize money) 'free' to enter for the cost of your conference registration. Unless I get something done and submitted by August 25th, this will be the first year I've not entered. I could really use the prize money to pad the author bank account for covers, business expenses, and funding research trips.  I can usually write short stories pretty quickly so I'll be really pushing on a couple of those this week. Technically, the deadline to enter is August 28th, but while I do work better in a time crunch, I hate the thought of actually entering last minute. 

I heard something from Sarra Cannon yesterday that I'd been thinking all along. An Ozarks Homecoming story isn't ready to be written. All I'm doing by forcing the story to come out, is burying everything deeper. Trust me, I really did not mean for this book to take me three years - and I have no intention of letting the other stories I have rattling around in my head (or starts in the file drawer) to take as long either - if I can help it. 

For those who don't understand, writing is a process and I'm a stickler for getting things right the first time. That was drummed into me in second grade. If you're going to do something, do it right the first time. Don't waste your time having to go back and do something over.

In the case of An Ozarks Homecoming it's imperative I get things right the first time. There is no 'do-overs' or opportunity to correct mistakes you will catch. I fear you'll call me on something then never pick up another one of my books. I can't risk that!

While I do these other things, the story is percolating in my brain. I've not turned loose of the story, I promise.

So my goals for this week:

* Catch up on Publish & Thrive course (meeting with attorney on Wednesday about LLC)

* Entries for Ozark Creative Writers aka OCW

* Finish bee journals

* At least 1 entry for G45

* Finish the cube storage unit organization.

Those should keep me out of trouble. 

I'll be back tomorrow for the wrap-up of Something Blue with my review of the anthology.

All my best

~Angela





No comments:

Post a Comment