Friday, June 17, 2022

THE WRITER'S NEST - Gregg McBride

 Good morning, everyone!

We are winding up a very special week here with a peek inside the writer's nest of writer/ producer, Gregg McBride.


Thank you for joining us today, Gregg.


Describe your writing nest? 

A little messy. A little magical. A lot in flux. There are always various piles on my desk – depending on what’s going on that day (or week). I use a desktop computer and a laptop, so I can write where my whims (and/or inspiration) takes me. Sometimes I love to have a nearby candle lit. There’s usually silence (or very soft ambient music in the background). And there’s always one of my furry children nearby, supervising. I have posters of past work on the wall. And journals full of new ideas on the shelves. It’s a space that inspires creativity. And I feel very lucky to have it.


What is it about this space that inspires you? From nothing, comes something. Whether it’s an empty room or a blank page. Whatever I’m creating (new script, book, or article), it’s coming from inside of my head. So as long as I have a keyboard in front of me, I’m usually good to go. I spend a lot of time thinking and ruminating before the actual writing process begins. Although I’m always taking notes, 24/7 (usually on my phone – thank goodness for the Notes app… I just must remember to look at it sometimes).


Has finding your space been an evolving journey? How so? Always. I don’t really get writer’s block. But I do get writer’s procrastination all the time. I’d rather be editing a finished draft than facing blank pages. There are some toys in my nest, as well as lots of stationery supplies and cards. I’m a card and stationery addict. I love having ribbons and wrapping paper around, too. Anything to inspire whimsy. Even if I happen to be working on a horror script. So I try and keep an influx of new inspirations (no matter how large or small) coming into my writer’s nest at all times.

Anything you would change? I always have ideas about changing my workspace. Or spaces. Just as I would like to think my writing talents evolve, so would the space I choose to do it in. Mood has a lot to do with it. There are times I love to be writing at a coffee shop or public place. Other times I need to be secluded in a room to myself with total silence (except for the furry kids, who make it clear they can and will invade my space anytime they please).


Gregg and Latte

What advice would you give to someone looking to build their own nest? Start with a pad of paper. An email to yourself on your phone. A laptop. A leaf and a magic marker. Whatever you’re going to make the first word of your project. Start there. That’s your space. You’re the space. What you write is going to change the world. No matter on what size the scale is, you’re going to make your mark. So, I’d worry less about the space and more about what you want to say. The space will take shape around you. Whether it’s a back porch, a dark hallway, an immaculate home office – wherever. What you write matters most.

How did you break into Hallmark and what advice would you give to someone trying? I had dreams of writing a Hallmark movie for a long time. Although I had a few encounters with executives at the channel over the years, it wasn’t until I had a general meeting scheduled that got postponed repeatedly that my dream started to come true. When the meeting finally happened, I pitched a one sentence idea about someone who doesn’t like Christmas having to be a Christmas angel. Little did I know that the channel’s planned Hallmark Hall of Fame movie for that year had dropped out the day before my meeting. They needed something. And my idea was it. Suddenly I wasn’t writing just any Hallmark movie, but a highly regarded Hallmark Hall of Fame Christmas movie, which ended up starring Shirley MacLaine, Eric McCormack, and Kristin Davis. Timing is everything. But so is being prepared.


These days, selling a pitch (an idea for a movie, even if well-crafted and planned out) is nearly impossible. Never say never, of course. But if you want to write a Hallmark movie, then you’re better off writing an actual script. But when you do so, make sure you’ve studied other Hallmark movies (recent ones) and read current Hallmark scripts. Things are changing at lightning speed in this industry. The movies that Hallmark was making a few years ago aren’t the movies Hallmark is making today. This is true for other networks that make Christmas and romantic fare as well. You’ve got to stay up to date. And you’ve got to write your little heart out. That way, when that magic moment happens, you’ll be 100% prepared.

Thanks so much for sharing sage advice. I look forward to seeing more projects from you. 

You'll find Gregg by clicking on any of the links below:

WEBSITE   BLOG   FACEBOOK   TWITTER   INSTAGRAM   YouTube   IMDB



No comments:

Post a Comment