Thursday, July 21, 2022

WRITER'S TIP THURSDAY - Research

 Good morning, everyone!

I wanted to stop in quick this morning and talk about research. 

Can you do too much? How much should you include in your story? 

If you've been following this blog then you know I've really been hung up on the research for An Ozarks Homecoming. Will I include everything I've learned? Not even close. However, when it comes to the military, there are things you just can't screw up!



I thought I had everything I needed until I realized my hero's internal struggle. I think, aside from the military stuff I had to get right, not knowing Marc's issues was the real dam holding everything back. I knew things weren't flowing but I hadn't located the dam.

Once I connected dots in my head and realized Marc was suffering from survivor's guilt I knew I needed to actually talk to a combat training officer. I was blessed to have made a connection with one guy from our local farmer's market. While he hadn't served in that capacity, he was able to put me in touch with someone who had. Jason is a retired combat training offer AND had mustered out from Fort Polk - right where Marc had the experience! 

While Jason doesn't talk about his military service, he did spend almost an hour with me on Tuesday answering my questions, filling in gaps and sharing a couple of stories about his own experiences. WOW!

I wish I hadn't been too tired to work when I got home but was after 9 p.m. by the time I got  home. For someone who gets up at 5:30 a.m., it was way past my bedtime. 

Will I include everything I learned from our talk? Not even close. Just having that background information is enough to help me tell Marc's story. 

Thank you, Jason, for your time and your service

All my best

~ Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment