Friday, April 17, 2020

THE WRITER'S NEST - Angela Drake

yep, today you get me! LOL

Primarily, my writing space is a corner of a 480square-foot office Bob had build for me about five years ago. within that space I have a couple of different places.
Sometimes it depends on whether I’m nanoing, needing a comfy spot to sit for a long period of time, if I’m working on non-book stuff or the time of day. See the varous pictures below.

What is it about this space that inspires you?


I love my sofa. It’s a comfy hide-a-bed. I snuggle into a corner of the sofa. My coffee cup sits handy on the end table. I can change the lighting. I must say though this is only good for early  mornings or late in the evening after sun has gone down or I have to shut the shade. 



This is where I write most days. Whether I'm blogging, sprinting or watching craft videos with my sister. For my work table, I can spread notes out and have everything handy. I create my time-line on adding machine tape. I can stretch that out on the edge of the worktable- in my line of vision if I get stuck.

This is supposed to be my writing space. I designated this corner for writing when I laid out the floor plan. Right now that corner is a natural disaster and not condusive to being creative. But a clean-up is in the future... just as soon as I relocate the cat:


Has finding your space been an evolving journey? How so?
Yes. When we first moved here almost thirteen years ago, I had a cave in the basement. Bob dubbed it ‘the dungeon. You can see from the picture why I needed an upgrade.


Anything you would change?
The cat off my desk LOL I love my cats though. We are working on an arrangement we can both work in. 

What advice would you give to someone looking to build their own nest?
You won’t hit on the perfect spot right away. Like your writing, finding the perfect spot is an evolution. Give yourself time to try different areas – even different times of the day. You may even find yourself coming back to one of your earlier spots.
I also do not suggest trying to find ‘the’ spot during a writing marathon period like NanoWrimo,  Camp Nano or facing a deadline. There’s enough pressure as it is to accomplish.  What you may find, though, is that the space you seem to put out the most words may very well be the place you are most comfortable. Revisit that space during a less stressful time.

Since I still don't have a new book, I'll remind you that the first book in the Planned to Perfection series is a great read. What could make you all happy in this crazy time then a cozy Christmas romance set in a small Arkansas community. 


You will find me on the various social media platforms. I also love to hear from my readers and fellow writers. 


Note: the Youtube channel is still new but will be having videos coming soon

No comments:

Post a Comment